HVAC Maintenance Checklist | A Homeowner’s Guide
Most homeowners know when their HVAC system needs repairs or replacing. That’s because we’re hard-wired to pay attention to things when they actually need attention. These can be issues such as your air conditioner not turning on or your home not heating up despite the furnace being on full blast. But the simplest, yet most overlooked way to prevent a replacement or costly repairs is by performing regular maintenance on your air conditioning and heating systems. Here are a few tips for what to check.
Your HVAC system is made up of many components that work together to form one cohesive network. While some components are independent of each other, some are connected to all parts of your HVAC system. Maintenance check-ups for these components can be:
- Thermostat settings – Checking your thermostat ensures that your heating and cooling systems are properly used or turned off when needed to prevent.
- Condensate drain – Your cooling, heating, or heat pump system all use some kind of drainage system. Make sure these are free of dirt, debris, and other types of buildup.
- Controls – Maintaining your HVAC system’s controls helps to ensure safe and proper operation for turning your system on and off.
- Electrical connections – Improper, faulty, or damaged electrical connections can decrease the efficiency of your HVAC system and can also be unsafe. Be sure to tighten them to prevent mishaps.
Air Conditioning/Cooling Maintenance
Maintaining your air conditioner can help prolong its life span, saving you money on repairs and installation costs. Areas to perform routine maintenance for your air conditioning unit can include:
- Evaporator & condenser coils – Keeping these components clean improves your AC’s ability to cool your home effectively without using more energy than necessary.
- Refrigerant levels – Too much or too little refrigerant in your AC unit can lead to a decrease in energy efficiency and overall life span.
- Blower component – Cleaning your AC’s blower prevents airflow issues from occurring.
Instead of refrigerant and coils, your heating unit has unique moving parts that help it work properly. Areas to perform maintenance for your heating system can include:
- Gas/oil connections – Ensuring proper gas/oil connections minimizes the risk of your heating unit becoming a fire hazard when operating.
- Burner combustion – Keeping your burner clean prevents issues, including not getting any heat or emitting unpleasant rumbling noises.
- Heat exchanger – A faulty exchanger can cause the furnace blow to make the flame of your heating unit flutter or blow out entirely. You’ll want to keep it clean and free of dirt and debris.
Call a Professional
While you may be capable of inspecting and cleaning some parts of your HVAC system, others require experience and know-how to ensure that maintenance is performed properly to prevent accidental damage. Proper routine maintenance can also save you more on future repairs that may occur due to improper maintenance.
Schedule professional maintenance services with All American Home Services! Call 813-486-4038 or contact us online.
Why Choose All American?
What Our Clients Are Saying
Had some issues at 9pm with my ac acting weird and this company had someone out in less then 30 minutes and it was a simple fix ! Great company , great workers and fast service.
– Charlene Knight
Technicians and staff are well trained, knowledgeable and easy to work with. I'm very happy with services they provided. Always my first call.
– Russy Persad
I was very pleased with the awesome service I received my technician ( Dalton ) was extremely knowledgeable, professional, considerate and explained everything very well, I would highly recommend this company!!!
– Wayne Goldhammer
We had questions concerning our AC unit and the tech came out and checked everything and answered all the questions we had. We called early in the day and got service the same day. Will be using them again in the future.
– Raylin C.
Great people. Very informative. Would definitely recommend and use this company again!
– Nicole Epps
The technician, Dalton, was on time and very knowledgable. He was able to tell me a lot about my unit and explain everything to me. Their price was much more fair than those that I've paid in the past. Excellent customer service, highly recommended!
– John Decoster