A Guide to Your Water Heater’s Life Span
How Long Should My Water Heater Last?
Traditional water heaters typically last between eight to 12 years, but there are ways to extend their service life. If it’s time for a replacement, there are newer water heater models that can last up to 20 years.
Our experts have put together this water heater life span guide to help you make informed decisions about when to repair or replace your water heater as well as how to protect your investment by extending the service life of your water heater.
Differences Between Gas, Electric, Tank & Tankless Water Heaters
If you’re interested in replacing your water heater with a different type, here are the differences between the current available options:
Power Types: Gas vs. Electric
- Gas water heaters: Gas water heaters have higher installation costs but cost less over time to operate. However, they have a slightly shorter life expectancy than an electric water heater.
- Electric water heaters: Electric water heaters typically last longer than gas. Their life spans are around two to three years longer. Your utilities bill will be higher than the cost of a natural gas supply line. Electric water heaters are less expensive to purchase and install.
Tank Types: Tank vs. Tankless
- Tank water heaters: The availability of hot water is immediate, though you would have a limited supply according to the size of your tank. Tank water heaters also have about half the life expectancy of a tankless model.
- Tankless: As opposed to their tank counterparts, tankless water heaters allow access to an endless supply of hot water, but there may be a delay when you initially turn on the tap. Tankless models are expected to last around 20 to 30 years, double that of a tank water heater.
How To Extend the Service Life of Your Water Heater
The best way to extend the service life of your water heater is by keeping it well-maintained. An experienced water heater professional will typically perform the following maintenance tasks to keep a water heater running efficiently year after year:
- Flush the tank of sediment buildup
- Inspect gas lines and burner
- Replace anode rod as needed
- Monitor and replace the pressure-relief valve as needed
- Check heating elements
Signs It’s Time To Replace Your Water Heater
Water heaters are sturdy plumbing fixtures, but eventually, it is no longer safe or cost-efficient to continue repairing a water heater. If your water heater starts showing these signs, our team recommends that you begin considering replacements:
- Frequent repairs
- Leaks that are extensive enough to cause water damage
- Run out of hot water quickly
- Metallic taste and smell
- Rust-colored water
- Age (homeowners start seeing severe issues around 10 to 12 years after purchase)
- Banging or clanking noises (these are an indication of sediment buildup and can be repaired if they’re addressed quickly)
Choose All American Home Services for Reliable Water Heater Services in Tampa, FL
For water heater repairs and installations that you can depend on in Tampa, contact All American Home Services. Our licensed plumbers are available 24/7 for emergencies, so you never have to worry about going without hot water in your home for long.
Why Choose All American?
What Our Clients Are Saying
Had some issues at 9pm with my ac acting weird and this company had someone out in less then 30 minutes and it was a simple fix ! Great company , great workers and fast service.
– Charlene Knight
Technicians and staff are well trained, knowledgeable and easy to work with. I'm very happy with services they provided. Always my first call.
– Russy Persad
I was very pleased with the awesome service I received my technician ( Dalton ) was extremely knowledgeable, professional, considerate and explained everything very well, I would highly recommend this company!!!
– Wayne Goldhammer
We had questions concerning our AC unit and the tech came out and checked everything and answered all the questions we had. We called early in the day and got service the same day. Will be using them again in the future.
– Raylin C.
Great people. Very informative. Would definitely recommend and use this company again!
– Nicole Epps
The technician, Dalton, was on time and very knowledgable. He was able to tell me a lot about my unit and explain everything to me. Their price was much more fair than those that I've paid in the past. Excellent customer service, highly recommended!
– John Decoster